Tuesday, September 14, 2010

30 Days of Me. Um. Yay? Day 4 - A habit that I wish I didn’t have

So what's a habit that I have that I wish I didn't?

I don't smoke, I don't do computer gaming, I hardly drink, I exercise pretty regularly. Perfect guy really? Well, maybe not. I'll start by saying that I have kicked the habit that used to bug me. I was one of the great all-time nail-biters. And now I'm not. What was the cure? Well it was three-fold:
  1. I bought a pair of nail clippers with a file so I could maintain them before they got too long.
  2. I got my family to point out when I was biting my nails.
  3. I stopped watching the New Zealand cricket team playing.
And that was it. Grim determination. Support of family. Adding positive tools and techniques for dealing with the motivators for the bad habit. Removing the bad influences from my life! A pretty good formula for solving any personal problem.

I need to apply those same principles now. Since I started refereeing, I've come to the realisation that there is a possibility that I could do very well at it. There's one major aspect holding me back. It spills over, literally, into other facets of my life and interferes with my goals. It's my diet. I keep making poor decisions about the fuel I am putting into my body. I keep eating the wrong things, not in small amounts, not in moderation: but in excess. Some of my best friends are supporting me on this, but others are not. Ones I usually rely on. My family does not yet fully support me 100% of the time and haven't been the same pillar of strength that I could lean on.

I have a problem eating junk food. McDonalds, Tim Tams, Toffee Pops, peppermints, milky coffee,... all delicious vices and often comfort food that I consume when I should be going for something more substantial that requires a little more effort to prepare.

That's my habit! I'd love to lose it.

No comments: